tracker40, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified,35 years experience, Shop owner, electrical specialist

Failed an international car inspection hand brakes. trying

Customer Question

failed an international car inspection for uneven hand brakes. trying to determine if this is something I can fix with a home garage
JA: Have your brakes ever been replaced? Have you checked the brake fluid?
Customer: emergency brakes
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: mechanic said left side is at 90 and right side is at 210
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: you are my first stop
JA: Thank you.
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: so how do you adjust the emergency brakes
JA: Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: 2014 Murano, 45K, good condition
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  tracker40 replied 5 months ago.
hello, the ebrakes use brake shoes inside the rear disc brake rotors. You remove the tire/wheel, then turn the brake rotor on the left side till the hole in the face of the rotor is at the top center, you then insert a long thin tool like tin regular tip screwdriver and turn the adjusting wheel. you may only have to turn it a few clcks, BTW: you do this AFTER you spin a few lug nuts back on the studs to hold rotor in place, You spin the wheel a few clicks as shown in diagram I have included and this will tighten that side more . I am not there nor looking at the ebrake shoes , but this is how you adjust. Your not that far off so by turning that star wheel a few + clicks will tighten that side