Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

I'm trying to locate and replace the PCV Valve on my 2006

Customer Question

I'm trying to locate and replace the PCV Valve on my 2006 Altima 3.5L.
JA: When was your last tune up?
Customer: 18 months ago
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. The PCV valve threads into the Bank 1 valve cover which is the side of the engine closest to the fire wall. Let me get you a image of where it's located in the valve cover.. Hold on
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago. That is the picture of where it's located on the valve cover so you can change it. Do you have any more questions on this?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Will I need to remove anything to get access to it?
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.
The top engine cover I think and the hose that goes to it. I recall being able to get right to it. The plenum does not need to be removed. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The diagram does not look right to me. For starters, the position of the oil filler cap does not match up with the location on my car. In the image it looks like the valve cover runs from front to back. On my car it runs side to side. See attached
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.
The image is just the valve covers. Here is your image edited to where it's located on your engine
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.
The valve cover image would be if you were standing in front of the passenger tire looking at the engine. The arrow in the image shows the front of the engine.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm still trying to locate the hose connected to the PCV valve. There appears to be a hose behind/beneath the two green wire connectors. Is that the hose I'm trying to get to and if so, do I need to disconnect the wire connectors to get to it?
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.
I believe that is the right hose, but the other end goes to the PCV
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
you are saying that is likely the right hose but the end just beneath the green wire connectors is not the end with the PCV valve? So, just follow that hose to the other end?
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.
follow that hose to the other end. I am pretty sure that is the PCV hose.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also, I tried to disconnect the green wire connectors to get access to that hose with no success. If that is necessary, any tips on how to disconnect them?I saw in a video that I might need to use some needle nose pliers to snap a plastic tie wrap that connects the bundle of wires to the green connectors. Does that sound right?
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.
It has been a while since I have changed one. They don't get changed very often. I don't recall having a hard time replacing them. I recall it was actually pretty easy, just a little tight.