Lou P
Lou P, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15+ years experience in the automotive field on all types of vehicles with access to diagrams and repair info.

04 350z. BRAKE LIGHTS DONT WORK. =\ I want to be as clear as

Customer Question

I want to be as clear as possible. I have 06+ LED tail lights on my 04 350z. My lights won't turn on when I brake. My running brake lights(dimmed brake lights) will however turn on. When I brake, the LED's in the tail lights will flash(bright) for a second, but it is very intermittent. When they are not working, only my third brake light(back window of the hatch) and lower light bulbs in the tail lights work 100% of the time (with running lights on), But the main LED's in the tail lights only stay dimmed. I have already replaced the switch with a Oem switch from the Nissan dealer. I still have the same exact issues. Any suggestions? Any kind of help, or feed back ASAP would be much appreciated. I'm scared to drive my car because I don't want to get hit. thank you in advance. 🙏🏼
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Lou P replied 5 months ago.
Hello Adam it sounds to me like the module that activate the brake lights is not recognizing the LEDs since the LEDs have lower resistance. There are some kits out there that add resistance to the circuit so the module recognized the bulbs or leds. That is what it sounds like is happening to me. Did your old brake lights work fine ? Lou P.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Lou. I did try my old tail lights and the issues still persisted. I didn't think that it was anything with the tail lights prior to testing my old tail lights but I gave it a shot since you recommended that. I didn't think it would be a resistance issue for the simple fact that the LED tail lights are still a OEM Nissan product. Regardless I did however find my issue. I took a close look at the ting pins in the harness plug with a flash light. The pins were slightly bent and not making contact to the pins in the brake pedal switch. How this happened, I have no idea, because I have never tamped with the plug/brake pedal switch, but I simply bent the pins back in place, plugged it back in, and now they are making full contact and my brake lights are now working flawlessly. looks like I didn't need your help, but thanks for your time anyways. I'm glad my Beauty is back on the road. Here is a photo of what she looks like, in case you're wondering.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Lou P replied 5 months ago.
good deal man,, its funny you say you did not need my help yet my info lead you to finding the issue which in turn we would have eventually found that as well, since the only thing that changed with the tail lights was in fact the tailights i knew the issue would have either been with the new lights or the connection, i have been doing this a very long time :) the car looks sweet that is a awesome picture, now all you need is a front bumper :) Please take a second and click the STARS above and rate my service 4 or 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED !
Expert:  Lou P replied 5 months ago.
Hello, just checking back to see if everything is still ok and if there is anything else i can help with to earn a positive rating so i may get credit for helping you, thanks, ***** *****