Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in the automotive service industry.

My 16 year old daughter has a 2001 Nissan Altima. While

Customer Question

My 16 year old daughter has a 2001 Nissan Altima. While driving down a dirt road she "hit something" and cracked/crushed the transmission pan. She managed to get it home but it will not go in reverse. My husband changed the filter, the pan and the fluid (which was almost entirely drained). It drives fine and shifts into all other gears but will not shift into reverse. We are assuming the transmission is ruined, but if not, we'd sure like some input. Thanks.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Ask your daughter this, after she hit whatever it was, did she ever use reverse after that, or was she able to keep going in drive until she got it home, Also, Does the engine rev up normally in park? like it should? and in neutral it revs up like it should and doesn't try to pull any in reverse correct? I want to make sure the linkage is still adjusted properly.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No she did not use reverse. Yes the engine revs up in park and neutral. No pull to reverse at all.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When put in reverse, it acts as though its in drive.
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.
Alright, Was the fluid burned any? did it smell burned to him? and was there any metal flake in the fluid that was left in the pan?
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.
when you put it in reverse? it pulls forward?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No the fluid wasn't burned and no metal flakes. Yes when in reverse, if you press the accelerator, it goes forward.
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.
Alright, if it's pulling forward in reverse, that tells me likely that there is a hydraulic leak internally in the transmission somewhere, it's possible whatever she hit , also hit the valvebody, and the valvebody is what directs fluid pressure to the various clutches to give you different gears and reverse, I doubt that the internal components of the transmission are hurt, If it was mine, I would pull the pan back off, (save the fluid if you can since it's new) and look very closely at the valvebody and the transmission case where it bolts up. I'm thinking that the valvebody would probably fix it, but I know that is an expensive item to try. and it is a messy job without a lift. You could call some local transmission shops, (I recommend Aamco) and see perhaps if they had a core with a valvebody that would fit yours and get some estimates there. I can't help but think that if it was fine before, and all she did was bang the pan, that she also banged the valvebody and unless the transmission case is cracked underneath, that a valvebody would likely fix it. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.