George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master 15+ years

1998 Nissan Maxima Brake lights staying on. I believe

Customer Question

1998 Nissan Maxima Brake lights staying on. I believe something plastic broke behind the switch because I found small black plastic pieces in the floor. would like to know what is supposed to be behind the switch.
JA: Have you checked the bulb? Could it be a faulty fuse?
Customer: How would a bulb or faulty fuze cause the lights to stay on?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I looked and saw the brake light switch is there in place and that something has to be behind it for it to work properly.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: No. Just trying to find out what plastic piece broke behind the switch.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  George H. replied 5 months ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, Yes there is a plastic trim button in the hole of the bracket that the plunger of the brake switch rests against. If you stop at an autopart store and get a package of assorted trim buttons there will be one that fits the hole. Please let me know how I can help Thank you