Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

High beam worked intermittently while now does not work

Customer Question

High beam worked intermittently for a while now does not work at all
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Nissan. The Nissan Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 06 maxima it had hid lights originally, now has reg lights. High beams no longer work
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I had it to my local mechanic, he says there's a bad relay that has to be fixed at nissan. I took it to nissan they claim the high beams never worked with r
JA: Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.
Hey there, thanks for the question. high beam function on BOTH sides does not work? You converted from factory HID lighting to halogen lighting?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just put the original hid lights back in. Still no high beam. Both sides.
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.
is this a US model or canada model with DTRL?
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.
if it's a canada model with DTRL then its probably th emodule as they are famous for issues like this. If its a US model and neither high bea, works you need to start by checking the fuses for the HI relay in the IPDM. if the fuses are good you want to turn the headlight hi beams on and see if you have power leaving the green wire (terminal 28) on the IPDM. If no power is leaving it check if power to the fuse 38 in the IPDM. no power to that fuse would indicate no hi beam signal being sent to the relay from the IPDM.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This problem started out intermittently. Don't think it would be a fuse. What the heck is ipdm?
Expert:  mike switzer replied 6 months ago.
did your mechanic inspect the headlight switch?
If no power to the fuses, perform the Intelligent Power Distribution Module (IPDM) auto active test. Lift the wipers off the windshield, turn the key on, cycle the door switch or open and close the door 10 times, turn the key off and then back on. The IPDM will turn everything it controls on and off. If it turns everything but the headlights and high beams on and off, the IPDM may have failed. this is the manual test procedure for the IPDM follow this procedure and see if the high beams turn on if they do not turn on then the IPDM has gone bad.
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.
Sorry for the delay I am back to help. Not sure why chimed in on this one, but we can continue when your ready. The IPDM is pretty much a fancy fuse box with built in relays and a CPU that helps activate those relays from signals from the BCM. Your IPDM is by your passenger side headlight. The auto active test will let you know if the hi beams function at all, but won't tell you why they aren't when they don't illuminate. For that we will need to do the voltmeter test i am talking about