Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

I have a 2014 Nissan Altima I just purchased the Car about

Customer Question

I have a 2014 Nissan Altima I just purchased the Car about a Year ago for the last few months I have been getting the Message Invalid Key Code I am taking the Car to the Dealer on Friday the car has 23,000 Miles on it I am hoping the Dealer will cover this if not what I am looking at as far as Cost to have it repaired and how long does this take to repair. Thank you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
It sounds like the key may be defective or for some reason has lost programming. Reprogramming or replacing the key should be covered under your standard 3 year 36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty that this vehicle typically comes with. I wouldn't think they would ask you to pay anything for the repair and I would be confident in telling them you expect it to be covered under warranty before any work is done.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Good Morning,Since this is my only running vehicle right now do you know approximately how long it takes to fix something like this.
Thank you.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
If it just needs a reprogram it shouldn't take more than an hour.If it needs a new battery in the key it might take about 1.5 hours to get a battery, change it, and then program it.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
We had one of our vehicles at the dealer last week for the exact same concern (it was a ford explorer though) and it took them 1 hour to replace the bad key and reprogram it.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
We could have done the exact same thing here in the shop in about an hour, but the keys are about $60 each and it was still under warranty so we wanted to save the $60. We are a local government fleet so we like to be good stewards of the tax payer dollar.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
Please let me know if you need additional help. Please don't forget to rate.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
Did you still need help with this question?If not, please don't forget to rate. That's how JustAnswer compensates us for our time. Thanks!