internal88
internal88, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have been working in the technican for over 15 years. I am an expert in diagnostic.
63512786

Nissan exterra: have a 2006 nissan exterra. service engine

Customer Question

have a 2006 nissan exterra. service engine light has been on for over a year. our mechanic kept testing & guessing & no results. finally today we bro& he said there was sludge in the engine. we get regular oil changes. the tech said the timing sprocket was stuck at 17* and it would cost $4000.00 to change all the timing componants with no guarantee that the vehicle would be ok after the repair. does this sound right, or is this a hoax? please let me know. thanks, Charlie
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have a 2006 nissan exterra. service engine light has been on for over a year. our mechanic kept testing & guessing & no results. finally today we brought it to dealer & he said there was sludge in the engine. we get regular oil changes. the tech said the timing sprocket was stuck at 17* and it would cost $4000.00 tochange all the timing componants with no guarantee that the vehicle would be ok after the repair. does this sound right, or is this a hoax? please let me know. thanks,
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Brandon - nissan tech.Did the tech gave you trouble code from the check engine light? I will need to specific code to give you an idea the problem of the car.This is the proper way to diagnose the vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
p0021
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
1. check for power on the Red/Yellow wire bank 1 and an on/off signal at 2000 RPM on the Red wire. On bank 2, check the Red wire for power and the Green wire for the on/off signal when the engine is revved to 2000 RPM. 2. If the signal is good, then the Engine Control Module (ECM) is trying to control the cam timing. Manually ground the signal wires to see if a change in the way the engine idles can be heard. If so, the solenoids are working. If not, the solenoids could be stuck. 3. The resistance of the IVT solenoids is 7.5 ohms at 70°F.We have experience with this code for this vehicle. We had to Replaced Intake Valve Timing (IVT) Control Solenoid Valve(s) because it was stuck. This job does not take $4000. It is about $1400.Please rate me positive, thank you!