Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have replaced my rotors, pads, hoses, calipers, and abs

Customer Question

I have replaced my rotors, pads, hoses, calipers, and abs pump, and my front drivers side caliper keeps locking up. I am lost as to fix it
JA: So many factors can cause ABS issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: as i drive the car, the right front brake caliper locks up, have to bleed it every couple of miles to keep moving
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced everything with new
JA: Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: just that its old and needed replacement parts
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.
Hey there, sounds like you have done ALOT here. Are you certain its ONLY the drivers front caliper? no other calipers are locking up?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes, it started with the right side, after i changed everything it moved to the left side. this has been going on for two months now. even replaced the hoses as a forum advised that internal lines sometimes block the flow
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.
Well the internal lines CAN cause it when they collapse internally. They can't bleed the pressure and remain locked up. That can also happen from an ABS valve issue or a slipe pin issue at the caliper but it looks like you replaced ALL THAT already.
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.
I have seen master cylinders cause calipers to lock also, but it's usually 2 calipers and not a single one.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what do you suggest i look for, can it be a programming issue with the computor
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.
no, it can't be a programming issue. Are you positive, when you replaced the ABS pump that the lines went in the SAME location as when you disconnected it?
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.
i think by FAR that the weirdest thing here is that the problem changed caliper locations.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yes i did it yesterday, carefull to reinstall all in the same place. realy cant mess that up s they dont reach other ports.
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.
What model nissan is this and year? a maxima?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
when i change the pump, it worked for about five minutes, you could feel the difference on the pedal, then it began to lock up again. 2003 extera, 4x2 4 cyl.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
was carefull to bleed everything, including the pump
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
could it be wheel sensors
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.
not goingt o be the wheel sensors either, sorry was looking at the ABS system on this year xterra.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
never had this problem before, bought the car new and it just started a few months ago. i am really stumped as I have repalced everything with new, except the MC, just cleaned it and reinstalled. i do have a new MC, but have good pressure and not sure if thats the problem. Can change it, but will that make a difference?
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.
I mean, without any ABS codes, noises, or otehr fault lights that indicate an ABS issue this is going to be a mechanical issue.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i can pull the codes and send them to you if that will help
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.
sure
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.
can't hurt
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, will get it today after work and send to you in the morning. where are you located? Im on Guam.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
my check engine lightis on, and the abs light is on, nothing else.
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.
i am in Arkansas, south central U.S.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i will replace the MC this afternoon, it is 8:12 am here
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.
Gotcha, I was not aware the ABS light was on. Let me know what ABS code you got and we can go from there. If you unplug the ABS unit does the caliper release?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no that was the first thing I tried, have to open bleed screw.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i also blew out all the brake lines in case they were obstructed. have noticed latley that the emergency brake is getting softer
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
where is the plug located to install the reader
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.
under teh drivers dash
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** MC today, get the codes and send them to you this afternoon
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
we can try again in the morning, thx again
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.
Great, talk to you then. If the caliper will release when the pressure is bled off then it gives us a general idea.