Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.

Comma I have a 1986 Nissan D21 pickup with a standard transmission

Customer Question

hi comma I have a 1986 Nissan D21 pickup with a standard transmission it idles fine but when driving it begins to stall until I get to a higher gear the max speed I get is like 50 now
JA: Many things can cause transmission trouble. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I change the throttle positioning sensor and was told it was probably in the exhaust system I don't know how to tell which Sensor 2 O2 the max airflow
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I recently got fired from my job he can't afford to take it to a shop
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Change the throttle positioning sensor
JA: Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: When guy that help me said it had a code 23
JA: I'm trying to find the right Nissan Mechanic for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: Thank you
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.
Hey there, thanks for the question. Code 23 is generally for idling issues or running rough. Are you sure it was code 23? you said it idles fine right?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That is what my friend told me but I don't know today I've been done underneath catalytic converter it seemed to do better for a little bit. Does a standard have a transmission speed sensor
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
So as I'm driving again it's like I get to a certain speed and it acts like it's not getting fuel until I shift to a higher gear
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I guess I would say bogs down
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.
Does it also bog like that if you rev it up in neutral?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just tried it and at first it was surging and then then stopped accelerating fine. When the problem started I went out started my truck sorry I went out check the oil check the clean my battery post started it turned it around came back a couple hours later it would not start Eric poured gas down into the throttle body is started cat surging then I would turn it off started back up and it to start a rapping out so I changed the throttle positioning sensor it did not help a mechanic put a new fuel pump on it . Told me he found a washer in the throttle body causing it to rap out. The new fuel pump did not fix the problem I cannot take it back to him a friend told me that you could be one of the sensors it's got the Air Max flow exhaust. Then I read something about a transmission speed sensor my truck is a standard
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.
May be an issue with the MAF then. Alot of the older TB injected trucks had the MAF mounted on the TB and pouring fuel on it, might have been the end of it.
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.
I don't think it's exhaust related. Most o2 sensor issues or obstructions can be tested by removing the o2 sensors from teh exhaust and seeing how it runs.