Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

I have a 2005 Nissan Altima. In past two weeks have had two

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Nissan Altima. In past two weeks have had two separate auto shops test drive because check engine light kept coming on. When they test drove the light did not come on. Just two days ago I had a tune-up and new spark plugs put in. Car ran fine Saturday and this morning but leaving my church parking lot the c e light came on again, flickered and then went out. The car acts like it's going to stall. Had a new catalytic converter put on November last year. For me personally, I am now rather paranoid about driving the car. Any suggestions would be helpful. I am in no way even an amateur mechanic. Thank you.
JA: Whether it's at the end of the driveway or on the highway, a car stalling can be dangerous. The good news is the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with all kinds of engine issues. How old is the battery?
Customer: About a year and half.
JA: Does the car stall out mainly when going up or down hills?
Customer: NO... and I don't particularly drive on any hills except HWY. Stalls at red lights/stop signs. It never!!! dies--just stalls. It always starts right up.
JA: Got it. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Can take to same shop where tune-up was done. I am not a mechanic and have no tools.
JA: Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: 111,plus miles. Alternator fairly new. Fuel pump not very old. I have to look up specific dates. Battery about year and a half. Cat. Converter new November 2015. Thank you very, very much.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.
Hi im kevin without any fault codes present its difficult to exactly pinpoint fault location .but from your description the first low cost task i would carry out to try and stop the stalling would be to have throttle body removed and cleaned as its common to get some carbon buildup especially at your sort of milage .this is a fairly cheap job around 2 hours labour worst case but is the most common cause of unexplained stalling