Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years of automotive Repair
7276279

I just did a tranny swap on an 05 Nissan Altima 2.5 automatic.It

Customer Question

I just did a tranny swap on an 05 Nissan Altima 2.5 automatic.It shifted perfect then wouldn't shift at all.Changed the speed sensor and it got better but it still goes into what seems to be limp mode.It will shift but it lags after coming to a stop.Once going again it seems to want to stay in first gear til the rpm gets higher than 4000 searches a little then shifts perfect.Check engine light popped back on after several test runs around my block and it telling me the speed sensor again.Help
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.If you can give me the actual fault code you are getting when the check engine light is coming on I will see if I can help you determine what is failing with the transmission. Post back when you can and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
P720. I changed what I thought was the vehicle speed sensor already.Sensor had a small blue gear on the end of it.After swapping it the speedometer began to work perfect but stil not shifting properly.After researching further I found that the revolution sensor/output is also listed as being called a speed sensor as well as the input.Should I just buy them both and change?Then I found that the crank shaft position sensor is also related to proper shifting.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
The common cause for the code P0720 to set is in most cases caused by a problem with the Vehicle Speed Sensor-Automatic Transmission (Revolution Sensor). I would consider checking it and replacing it if needed. See the steps to check it in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/VAT%20MAy%2015.pdf