Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1985
20625509

I have a 2005 Nissan altima. I was driving on the freeway when

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Nissan altima. I was driving on the freeway when the engine shut off. I put it in neutral and tryed to start as I was costing off the freeway to the nearest exit to a parking lot . But nothing car will turn over but no fire in the pistons. So I started to trouble shoot a lil and noticed that I had no fuel pressure going to the fuel rail ,I disconnected the gas lines and turned the car over but no gas would come out of line . So I assumed it was a bad fuel pump .changed the fuel pump and noticed a constant ticking noise from the relay box under the hood near the water resivor. while care is in the on position ,but when I applied my foot to the brake the noise goes away . So I try to start the car and still nothing ,it just turns over and still have no gas to the fuel rail . I think that my immobilizer locked me out of the but I'm not sure ! Might be a bad chip in the key not registering please help
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. Many things can cause a car to make those weird sounds. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I am
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced fuel pump ,checked relay for voltage checked fuses ect. But other forums make me think it is the immobilizer
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: The brake switch is working fine my light work .but that's all I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
Give me a moment to get the wiring diagram and take a look at it. In the meantime can you tell me if both the check engine light and security light come on for bulb check and also go out after 10 seconds or so?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
Does this have the 2.5 or 3.5 engine?Is it a base, s or sl? Or se-R?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
Auto or manual trans?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
You should be able to deactivate the vehicle security system by using the key or keyfob to open a door or the trunk lid, just to rule that out.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
Do you still want help with this? If so you have to answer those identification questions.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.