Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine

I have a push button start and it won't crank. The brake lights

Customer Question

I have a push button start and it won't crank. The brake lights came on but nothing. Tried pumping brakes and still didn't crank
JA: Working brake lights are so important for a safe drive. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with will have just the tips you need for a quick fix. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Put the fob in the slot and nothing happens.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have pushed the brake and pushed the button and not cranking. I put the fob in the slot and tried cranking still nothing. Nothing in the dashboard is lighting up
JA: Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Nissan.Have you had any repair work performed recently? Or in trying to fix this concern?Have you tried to jump start the Nissan yet?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No to both questions
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The key light on the dashboard comes on sometimes but nothing on the crank button lights up at all
Ok, this sounds like you have a bad(deteriorated) battery that is causing this concern. Do you have someone that can help provide a jump start? Or have a call service like AAA (Triple A) that can handle this?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Could it be the battery if we bought one a few months ago
Yes it absolutely could. This may be just a bad one, there could have been a small light left on or other parasitic load that drained the battery, its hard to say for sure. But a jump start should get you back on the road and then we can have the battery charging system checked.If you have more questions, please ask as I strive to give Excellent service. Also please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The brake lights and head lights work. All interior lights are working
Yes, I understand. Please keep in mind that the power needed from the battery to operate lighting is no where the amount needed to make a starter turn over and engine. Does this make sense?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I pushed the crank button without the brake on and the "lock" light lit up. But nothing els
I see. Ok, please allow me to open this question for another Expert to step in and help you. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I need answers quickly. I can't crank it and stuck at Walmart