Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Good afternoon I'm ***** *****. I have a 2003 maxima se and

Customer Question

Good afternoon I'm ***** *****. I have a 2003 maxima se and I have that common rattle on the rear section of my motor between 1500-2100 rpm. I've heard many things from timing guides to lifters.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It rattles when I give it gas from 1500-2100 rpm but as soon as I let off it goes away or pass 2100. And it doesn't do it at all of the car is below normal temperature
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,Is the check engine light coming on?Do you hear this same sound at first start up after the car has been sitting for several hours?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No light and no noise at start up
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
OkThis usually wouldn't be one of the timing chain tensioners. I think I would have the rear engine mount looked at and the heat shields on the exhaust system. Normally those tensioners or the chain guide are very consistent and also almost always there after the car has been sitting for a long time like overnight.The engine mounts are electric and do make noise time to time when they start to go bad, and the front pipe does have heat shields on it that can cause the rattle as well. So, the good news is I don't believe you have an internal issue with the engine, the bad, it should probably go to a shop where it can be put on a lift and checked out.Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The heat shields are off and the mounts have been replaced. It's sounds like detonation but only to the rear of the motor
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
The only thing I could think of that would cause this on the rear bank only would be if the timing jumped. Since you have no light, it makes little sense that it would be the issue.I will open this up for the other experts to see if anyone else has any ideas for you.Please do not respond or it will lock the question right back to me.Sorry I was unable to assist, but noise concerns over the internet are nearly impossible to diagnose.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. Is this noise a chatter from the engine under light acceleration or when going up a hill?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes but only from 1500rpm to 2100rpm and only on the rear of the motor( firewall side)
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
but it sounds like a chatter right? It will only do it when driving not when just reving the engine?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Correct
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
what you are experience is octane ping. You get this when using low grade fuel. What I recommend for issues like this is to run the tank as low as possible. Then fill the tank with premium fuel. After you fill it, when you get to around 1/2 tank you will notice the chatter getting less and less. Once you get to a 1/4 tank, it will be almost gone. Then fill it 1 more time with premium fuel and let that run through the system and the noise should be completely gone. Do you have any more questions on this?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All I use is premium
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
ok.. what brand spark plugs do you have in the engine? do you get gas at the same station all the time?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I use the recommended oem ngk plugs and no I've tried several different brands and pumps for periods of time and nothing changes
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
Interesting. The description sounds like octane ping. How many miles on the car?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
123154
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It does sound like that but isn't that
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
do you have access to a scanner to monitor air and fuel trim?
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
did you replace any cam sensors with sensors from your local auto parts store?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The dealer did that and said it all looked normal
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No everything is oem
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
Well, the only other thing that comes to mind is maybe the injectors are not spraying properly. Did you try to have a injection service done? if the injectors are not spraying properly that also can cause this.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did the cleaner at the dealer
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So there's no way it could be the chain or guide or tensioner
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
if it was a chain or tensioner, it would be all the time.