Xtrail: I have a 2008 Nissan xtrail T31. I have problems

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Nissan xtrail T31. I have problems with my cruise control, the set light just flashes when I turn it on and won't let me use cruise control.
However if I disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes it will work one time but then once I turn the car off it will do the same thing.
What is the likely problem?
It also says esp off on the dash quite often
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hi Josh,Is yours an Auto or Manual transmission?Can you check to see if your brake lights work?Gary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's automatic and the brake lights work. It has been an issue since I bought the car almost 2 years ago
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hi Josh,Has Nissan had a look at your car?The ESP off warning is related to why the cruise doesn't work.There will be a code set in ABS or ECM.Can you get a scan done please?Gary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I haven't, I was hoping to avoid that which is why I tried this website. Not too keen to pay for this if all you can tell me is to take it to a dealership.
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
You can get a scan done at Supercheap for free.I would then have some chance of helping you.As a technician, this is what I do on any car with an electronic issue.Without a scan, it is a stab in the dark as to what is wrong.I will opt out now, and open the question to another tech.Gary
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!It's imperative that the fault codes be read. Cruise is being disabled due to a problem being seen and a fault code setting, diagnosing the issue is going to require testing based on whatever fault code is setting. There are literally dozens of things that could be causing the cruise to not work. There is a good chance you have a brake switch or wheel speed sensor issue.Would it be possible to borrow a scan tool or code reader from someone?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi,Sorry I just didn't want to have to take it to a dealership for them to charge excessively.
I have gotten a scan done and have attached the results. I think they said that something might be wrong with the brake sensor or something but there's no reference to it on the results.There were also a few other error codes that showed up, could you please tell me what those meant?Another thing that happens is when you turn the headlights on the accelerator drops out. To get it to work again you have to take your foot off the accelerator completely and then it's good again.
I see there were some codes found but the actual codes are not listed there. Were they on the second page?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just got the test redone as they didn't do it properly. New test is attached.
You definitely have a brake switch or switch wiring issue then. It would take some electrical testing to determine if it were a switch or wiring problem but the switch would be far more common.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay cool so where would you recommend me taking it to get it sorted as cheap as possible?Any ideas on the other codes though? Transmition codes?
The P0826 is for the manual mode switches in the shifter and is most likely a shifter issue, but could be wiring. The rest of the codes are brake switch related.If it's not something you're able to diagnose on your own then any independent shops should be able to repair it. A dealer would be the most experienced with the vehicle normally but an independent shop would be cheapest.