Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.

05 Pathfinder. Kept blowing taillight fuses, heard it could

Customer Question

05 Pathfinder. Kept blowing taillight fuses, heard it could be an issue with the trailer plug pig tail, removed it and cured that problem. However, the center console lights (radio, heat and a/c) go out when the headlights are turned on and come on when the headlights are turned off. The glovebox light does the opposite, comes on with the headlights and goes off when the headlights are turned off. Obviously not a fuse or relay issue because they're working, just not when they're supposed to. Tried taking the battery cables off for 15 minutes to reset the BCM but that didn't work.
JA: Working headlights are essential for a safe drive. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with will have just the tips you need for a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes but this isn't an issue with headlights, just the center console lights.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Cleaned the grounds, did a lot of cussing...
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.
Hey there, thanks for the question. If the console lights are working PRIOR to turning on the headlights. Then there is a good chance that the dimmer switch is turned down. Have you checked the dimmer? That is the MOST likely cause here.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yep, dimmer switch works as advertised. IT's almost like someone switched the wire for the center display to work opposite of the headlight switch. Where does my ground and positive signal come from, the ECM? It worked before I took the pigtail out, I re-installed a new one but that center section works opposite of the headlights.
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.
The power source for the illumination circuit comes through the fuse in the IPDM
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Doesn't make sense. Obviously have power for there a separate relay for the center section that could be getting a signal from a different source? And why would the glove box light be coming on with the headlights? If I open the door, no light until I turn on the headlights.
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.
Fuse 37 to be exact. from the wiring diagram though the grounds for the things you mentioned look like they come from the trailer brake pre-wiring. So removing the harness ground may have been the issue then.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Any chance you could send me a schematic? Could the IDPM be trashed? Can it be re-flashed?
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.
i looked up the electric brake pre-wiring grounds though and all of them are located on the dash beam. want the location pictures?
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.
here are the grounds and no the IPDM is not flashed or programmed. It's basically a fancy fuse box with built in (soldered in) relays and a CPU that operates on/off function of those relays from inputs.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK, hypothetically let's say the grounds are good. What would you check next if this was in your driveway?
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.
sorry got tied up but am back. if the ground check was good would double check that the proper amperage fuse is in the IPDM. If it is, then I would look at the other items tied into that specific portion of the illumination circuit that could effect it, whether a short from one of the other components is drawing amperage or effecting the ground path and go from there.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The grounds are good. One thing I did find was, when I pulled the positive cable off the battery and touch one end of a test light to the battery (+) and the other to the positive cable, it lights up.
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.
The most obvious issue here to me is that you were blowing tail-light fuses so you removed the trailer harness. This corrected the the tail-light issue because some portion of that harness was shorting to ground. In the process of doing so you created another issue with the illumination at the console. So the easiest place to start here for me would just be to re-install the pigtail correctly ensuring no shorts to ground. I am not there to see what all was done, but looks like you did something to effect the illumination circuit.