Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My Nissan titan just threw up a P0081 code. It's a solenoid

Customer Question

Hi. My Nissan titan just threw up a P0081 code. It's a solenoid of some sort. How difficult is it to replace if it is faulty? What is the cost of the solenoid?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Nissan. The Nissan Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Nissan Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: Ok. I can do that.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It just threw that code all of a sudden. Don't know where to begin looking. How bad is this code to live with for 200 miles? I'll be doing an oil change then.
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing. Just got the code p0081
JA: Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: Nope. It's at 95k miles.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. What year Titan is this?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2008. Pro 4x. IF with 95k miles
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was due for an oil change. Probably 5k since the oil change
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
That code P0081 is for intake timing solenoid for Bank 2. How is your oil level?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll have to go hone and check. If the level is ok, what else can I look for?
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
Lets take one thing at time. I just want to see if the oil level is good first. Then I will tell you the next steps.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Cool. I'll let you know in one hour.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just checked oil. Level is fine, both on the dipstick and in the dash
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
Then the solenoid would need to be changed. Let me see if I can find a image of it's location for you. Hang on.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/1.pdf That is actually the complete diagnostic chapter to help you with this code. Figured it would be easier to share that with you. Do you have any more questions this?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the prompt reply. Looked through the PDF. Looks like a job for the shop. Can you tell me:
1) How much does the part cost? Part number? Where can i buy this if not from a dealer (trying to save $)
2) What is the labor time/cost involved at a dealer in the SanFrancisco area?
3) If this is a remove and replace job that i may attempt with a friend? How can i locate the part (under the engine shroud?)
4) What happens if i operate the vehicle for 200-300 miles without changing the solenoid? I have a couple of short trips coming up.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
I will start by telling you this. These cars are very sensitive to after market electrical parts. So most cases I have seen when people try to save money by getting after market electrical parts, it costs them more cause they don't work right or can cause false codes. So I would stick with the dealer for the parts. As far as labor, if it's the solenoid, 1 hour labor is what I would expect it to be around.