Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Jay- I have an 04' Xterra/ 134k miles, runs great normal

Customer Question

Hi Jay- I have an 04' Xterra/ 134k miles, runs great normal wear and tear, runs strong. Problem= once motor warms up, randomly, it starts starving for fuel and miss-fireing on all 6 cyls. Process of elimination, dash cluster is good, OB computer is good, have nu TPS, knock sensor, fuel pump & filter. injectors are clean, has great fuel pressure. Checked the master flow meter, distributor and wires good and fireing on all 6. Plugs are good...all basic mechanical functions in check and all codes are clear with no lights on dash...out of our minds! We feel its some kind of electrical signal issue/signal. Any ideas?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. Do you have a scanner to monitor the air and fuel trim when it acts up?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My mechanic has been running the scanner through all this. This guy has fixed everything in my company and personally for9 years. Really honest guy. 28 years auto electric- totally frustrated he can figure this out.
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.
Most cases the issues would be a MAF sensor not metering air properly or a Distributor. These cars are sensitive to electrical parts. Especially MAF sensors. So if that needs to be replaced, I recommend you get it from the dealer. Would this be something that maybe you want to use the Premium Service so I can call your mechanic and talk with him to help you?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Pretty sure he checked that too. I will recheck Monday and then get back to u
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.
You got it. I will be online in the late evening since I work during the day. Talk to you then.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just found out MAF has been changed out and tested. Next idea?
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.
Changed out with a after market one? Where did they get the MAF sensor?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ahhhh, don't want to pay the phone price rather keep this going. What u suggest next with all the elimination of things we have done?
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.
That is fine, we can continue here. Where did you get the MAF sensor that was installed?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He just checked to see if it was clean and working properly and it was.
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.
where did you get it? You have not told me.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oops sorry, he didn't get a new one. Just checked the existing one to see if it was working and said it was working properly.
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.
How did he check it? Is he using a scanner?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes using a scanner.
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.
Is he monitoring fuel trim?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Spoke to mechanic today...he installed a new MAF- problem still exists...any other ideas?
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.
This is now the 5th timing I have asked how he is checking the MAF sensor, or where did he buy it? I am trying to help you but you have not been able to answer my questions to help you with yours.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry ur not getting my answers... Answered 2 times. Got it from dealer
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.
Ok.. Do you know if he is monitoring fuel trim? Did you have a knock sensor replaced before this happened?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He is monitoring fuel trim and knock sensor is brand new
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.
Did this start after the knock sensor was replaced?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, we had hoped the KS would have originally fixed it
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.
The reason I was asking is cause I have seen where the two rear 02 sensor connectors can be plugged in backwards which can cause a running issue.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry all we did was review what I did on the car. I have not gotten any answers. I can't pay for a conversation that only reviewed all the components I mentioned in my opening conversation to you. Do you have any other suggestions.
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.
can you go to the rear 02 sensor connector for the passenger side and tell me the wiring harness color wires?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Replaced the ob computer and installed a factory TPS (one we installed earlier this week was not OEM and burned out. Now problem lessened, but still exists. Now the engine light is now on and now the speed sensor indicates on the scanner. Tested the speed sensor and it's good. We think it's a false read on the dash cluster. Ideas? What's your thought on the rear 02 sensor wire harness colors? U still think u need that info?
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.
What code are you getting?