Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years of automotive Repair
7276279

I have 2000 nissan pathfinder LE. The dashboard lights wouldn't

Customer Question

I have 2000 nissan pathfinder LE. The dashboard lights wouldn't come on. I have checked those fuses. All seems fine. My tail lights are ok too. If I turned on the head lights, I noticed the temperature/fan control panel also turn off And idea?
JA: Working tail lights are so important for a safe drive. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with will have just the tips you need for a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
\
JA: Huh?
Customer: yes
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.The tail lights and the dash lights share the same fuse so the problem is not likely with the tail light fuse. The one thing both the cluster lights and the blower motor share is the power feed from the ignition switch. Start with checking to see if you are getting key on battery voltage at the cluster fuse #8 which feed the white/blue wire from the #8 fuse to the cluster. If you find the fuse as well white/blue wire is dead then suspect a failing ignition switch or the connection to it. See the wiring diagram in the link below for reference.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Instrument%20cluster%20lighting%20May%207.pdf
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok Ron. I don't have time to follow your instructions now. But I'll get back to you once I have some time to check.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
No problem, Im here most everyday, post back if needed when your ready.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ron, reading your comment. where is the cluster fuse? From the diagram you provided, white/blue wire is going to #12. Could you please clarify a little? Thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
The cluster fuse should be in the interior fuse panel.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
checked fuse #8. It looks fine. And When I turn on the head lights, it gets about 12v.
Just want clarify, the blower motor runs fine. I still getting air flow. Just the control panel will be turned off when when I turn on head lights.
I remember if the past, when I turn on the head lights the dashboard light up and temperature control panel will dim a little.
Any idea?
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
The dash light and the heater control share the same power source. If the fuse is okay and you have power in and out of it then you need to check at the back of the cluster and see if you are getting light on power at the cluster on the white/lite blue wire. The power wire at the AC switch is the pink/green wire.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Note, the heater control's light is on when I turn the head lights off. Only when I switch headlights on, then it is turned off.
Not sure if this tells you anything else?
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
I think you need to check the power at the instrument cluster from the fuse when the cluster dose not light up.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There are multiple light bulbs to light up instrument. So even on light bulb is out won't turn off all instrument, correct?
How do I check the power at the instrument cluster from the fuse?
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Yes there are multiple light bulbs but only one power source. It it was just a bulb only that section would be dead. If the complete cluster is not lighting then its likely a power supply issue and the place to start is checking power at the connector at the cluster.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
where is the "connector at the cluster"? are you referring to the hardness at the back of the instrument ?
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Yes, the connector plugs in to the back side of the cluster.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
should I only unplug M24 and measure pin 29 while turning on the head lights?
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
No you read it with everything plugged in and the light on.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok. I'll get back to you my finding.
But another thought, it should be no reading in this case, right? what's the point to measure this?
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Your measuring the power supply to the cluster lights with the lights on, you need the power signal in order for the light to light.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
just try to confirm. I don't need to turn on the engine to do the measurement, right? The dash borad supposed to get the power while I turn on the head lights, correct?
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
No engine dose not need to be on but the lights do.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
checked. it gets the 12v on pin 37 when turn on the head lights.
what's next? I have the panel pulled out.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Okay if you have power to it then the next step is to check the ground. It looks like the pink/black wire is the ground at the cluster as well as the AC control panel.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do I check the ground? I measured yesterday from Pin29 to ground, it got 5ohm. Is that normal?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is it possible the illumination control switch failed? How do take it out to check?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Ground are check by removing and cleaning them and making sure there clean and tight. If you have power to the cluster from the switch this its not likely bad.