Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

This is Amisha and we messaged last night about my '97

Customer Question

Hello this is Amisha and we messaged last night about my '97 Nissan altima I checked the wires and they were in good shape, so what can I do next??
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Clayso replied 7 months ago.
Disconnect the EGR vacuum line and put something like a golf tee in the line and see if the engine still stalls on acceleration. I'd like to isolate the EGR and see if it's actually part of the stalling problem. Disconnect the EGR solenoid and with an OHM meter check the resistance of the new EGR solenoid, it should have about 34Ω of resistance. Let me know how this works out.Thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do I disconnect the neg cable on the battery to check solenoid resistance?
Expert:  Clayso replied 7 months ago.
No, the negative cable is ok being connected, just disconnect the 2 wire connector from the solenoid and check the resistance from one pin to the other with an Ohm meter. Make sure to let me know if the engine still stalls with the EGR vacuum line disconnected and plugged.Thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is 2000k 200k 20k 2000 200 20. Sorry ( as I am a female) but was it supposed to be on 2000k? And do I just lay the red pin on top of it? If so it was -55.7.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
And the vacuum line to get valve has a small goldish metal ball in it. I figured it was supposed to be there.
Expert:  Clayso replied 7 months ago.
200k should do fine, I actually had to look at one of my meters to find out. The main meter I use automatically selects the correct setting (just a matter of a decimal point). You will need to hold the meter leads on the sensor pins for a good connection. The gold ball sounds like a bb, someone has blocked the line to keep the EGR from opening. Knowing this, don't worry about plugging off the line, the EGR valve is not causing the stalling. Go ahead and check the resistance of the solenoid and I'll look further into the stalling issue.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok...I had ordered an egr valve...should I go on and purchase it or wait and investigate some more? Sorry to worry you but my best friend who was a mechanic recently passed in a car wreck so I try to save money and do it myself...I do appreciate your help. ☺
Expert:  Clayso replied 7 months ago.
You're very welcome, no need to worry about me, I do this full time. Good friends and good mechanics are rare to find, sorry to hear of you loss. Once you know the resistance of the EGR solenoid, let's put the EGR and its code P1400 on the back burner for now and focus on the stalling issue. Someone has put a bb in the vacuum line to keep the valve from opening. The EGR valve opening was most likely causing a misfire problem at onetime. The solution for this is cleaning out the EGR ports in the intake manifold. To clean the intake passages you will have to remove intake manifold and then separate the upper and lower parts of the intake manifold. There are plugs in the upper intake that can only be accessed from the bottom. Remove the plugs and clean the EGR ports out with a suitable tool and carbon cleaner. For the stalling problem remove the distributor cap and inspect it for any oil and or carbon tracking. Basically let me know if it's oily and or dirty inside cap and distributor. Next check the air filter, make sure it's clean and look inside of the air filter housing, through the Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor. What you want to look for is any dust or debris on the Hot Film Resistor. You can also clean the resistor, youtube has a good video for this procedure. MAF Sensor Cleaning. With the air intake boot you can use the same cleaner and a toothbrush to clean out the throttle body and plate, you'll have to open the throttle to clean the back side of the throttle plate. The maker of the video was wrong about the cleaner, you can get into the intake with no problems, just don't spray the entire can into the throttle body, worst case is the engine will be hard to start and then smoke a little until the cleaner burns off. Let me know how the distributor cap and MAF look. Oh yeah and the resistance of the EGR solenoid.Thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok...so i tested the connector earlier and it read 12.38. I tested the egr solenoid as you told me and it read 0.01. I put a mass air flow sensor on it on April 4th. I'm going to check intake manifold and distributor now. I got the egr solenoid from Napa auto parts this past Tuesday..but it sounds like it may be bad... I'll finish checking everything and get back to you...
Expert:  Clayso replied 7 months ago.
The EGR solenoid does sound like the problem for the P1400, but not for the stalling. Had the stalling problem been going on before the MAF was replaced?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes...a lot worse though. I put the MAF on and it drove great for about 2 weeks. I have a feeling it could be something with the intake manifold because my friend that passed away said something about it maybe a year and a half ago..unfortunately I can't remember what he said.
Expert:  Clayso replied 7 months ago.
See if it will run better with the MAF unplugged. Let me knowThanks