Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Recently, I bought an '04 Nissan Maxima, only to find it needed

Customer Question

Recently, I bought an '04 Nissan Maxima, only to find it needed extensive repair. Now I've got most of the issues repaired, but it won't pass inspection because it keeps throwing O2 sensor codes. We'd replace the O2 sensor shown, and then it would come up saying it needed a different O2 sensor not shown before. Now we've replaced all the O2 sensor with brand new sensors, but it's still saying that an O2 sensor needs to be fixed. We've researched what could be throwing a false positive code, and come up with fixing fuel injectors, and replacing lines, and using a PVC pipe for something, but nothing is helping. What can be causing these false positive codes, and making the check engine light stay on?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. What are the exact codes you are getting please? Also where did you get the 02 sensors you replaced?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Right now, it's showing a P1273 code, and the pcv valve has been replaced(reject what I said about the PVC pipe, sorry)
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.
That is for Bank 1 A/F sensor which is like the upper 02 sensor. Do you know which side of the engine is bank 1? Did you replace all 02 sensors? Where did you buy them?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I replaced all of the sensors. We bought OEM sensors made for the car, specifically.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.
Do you have any exhaust leaks? The only other thing I have seen that can continue to cause this code is if the 02 sensor bung is cracked and allowing outside air into the exhaust.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No detectable leaks
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.
How are you checking?
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.
How are you checking for exhaust leaks?