Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.

I had a clutch and flywheel replaced in a used 280 zx JA:

Customer Question

I had a clutch and flywheel replaced in a used 280
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Nissan. The Nissan Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I had the clutch and flywheel replaced in my 1980 280zx and now it won't start. It will fire up with starter fluid but not when using the ignition. It has fresh gas and we used a booster battery but it just turns over and doesn't fire.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No. It is at the shop that put in the clutch and flywheel.
JA: OK! The Nissan Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: The car is not at a Nissan Mechanic. It is at a mechanic I have used and trusted with several cars I have had over the years. He admits that he is not familiar with 280zx fuel injections but we thought the clutch/flywheel repair was pretty straight forward. Why would it not start after the repairs. It ran fine before.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
After replacing the clutch and flywheel my 280zx won't start. It will fire up with starter fluid but will not start with the ignition key although it is turning over and the fuel pump sounds like it is working. It started fine before the clutch repair. We used a battery booster to make sure there was enough battery power. What gives?
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 months ago.
Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.From your description sounds like there is no power to the injectors or no pulse to ground. Just off from the battery check the fusible links. Verify there is battery power on the blue/white wire to the EFI Relay. Also verify there is battery voltage at the injectors. Any wire combination with a red wire at the injectors in battery voltage from the EFI relay when the key is on and during cranking.I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.Thanks.
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 months ago.
A couple of quick checks your mechanic can do is listen for the injectors clicking during cranking. Also verify fuel pressure with a gauge T'd in between the filter and the fuel line. Fuel pressure should be about 30 psi. Let me know how this works out.Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My mechanic hasn't had a chance to follow through with your suggestions yet. So I can't respond until I know if they have helped solve the problem or not. I will let you know as soon as I know. Thank you for the information.
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 months ago.
You're welcome. I've been wondering how this was going. Thanks for letting me know.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for tying to help me. Unfortunately the suggestions you submitted did not work. So my rating is poor but I do appreciate your trying. As for response time I would give you 4 stars.
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 months ago.
I have several other areas to check. The main thing would be to get a diagram in your mechanics hands if they need one. Personally, I'd rather have a beating than a poor rating.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK Ignore my rating and we'll see if my mechanic has any luck using a wiring diagram as that was going to be his next step. I'll let you know what happens.
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 months ago.
I can go a step farther for 5 bucks I can offer a premium service and continue this conversation through regular email and or the phone, which ever works best. This is a personal email you can give to your mechanic and I can send the diagrams straight to them. Regular email is so much easier for sending technical information, diagrams and images. It's also straightforward for them to send me images. Let me know if your interested.Thanks