Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2013 Murano. The "ash tray" as Nissan calls it door will no

Customer Question

2013 Murano. The "ash tray" as Nissan calls it door will not stay shut as the cup holder door does. It was working and one day just stopped "latching" and remains open. Not sure if I have to take the whole center console out or there is an easier attempt to fix.
JA: Doors are something you never think about until they start to act up. Fortunately, the mechanics are real masters, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with the best one for this. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes I am. don't want to pay a dealer
JA: Great! What have you tried so far? Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: Just trying to see what the latch or closure is or what the issue is via flashlight. something is off but I cant find anything online about how the door works.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 7 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. What can happen in some cases is debris can make its way into the back of the door on this and cause it to not engage.What needs to be done from here is compressed air used to blow behind and around it to see if any debris comes out around the door/lid then see if it closed then.This trick usually works fairly well.If this was already attempted let me know. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the response Pete! I have tried the compressed air trick with no such luck. The door is fully operational in its intended range of motion opening and closing but it just wont latch shut. It is still fluid like in its motion but will not latch.
Well after looking at my info on this here the only thing that comes up is the info on how to replace the lamp assembly.I will have to see if others can help further.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
do you know what makes up the internals of this door. how it pivots or what is involved, a spring?
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.
hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. Do you keep change in the ash tray normally?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.
The reason I ask, is most of the time when I see this, there is a coin stuck behind the ash tray door keeping it from closing. Normally to find that out you remove that console piece and turn it upside down and the coin comes out. How handy are you?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the input. I am handy and would feel comfortable taking something apart in the car if needed. I tried with high compression air last night, 140psi, to see if something would blow out or was obstructing the closure, no luck. In looking with a mini led light I also saw nothing in the area to obstruct. This was working and one day just stopped staying closed. I took a short video last night if there is some way I can send it to you.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.
Do you have a You Tube account to share the video?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do not. Can I email it to you?
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.
personal contact is against our terms and services unless Premium service is requested. See if you can open a free You Tube account and upload it to share it with me. Or if you have a DropBox account you can share it with me there also.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Jay,Did you have any additional thoughts on the issue or fix? I was not able to upload the video for some reason. Not sure if you ever had one of these center consoles apart or have seen how doors like this work.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.
Did you try uploading to a free You Tube account?