Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

JA: . What do you want help with? Customer: We

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: We have a 2014 Nissan Pathfinder. When you press the button for the automatic lift gate it opens but then it keeps automatically closing. It wont stay open.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Nissan. The Nissan Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It is intermittent. Sometimes it does stay open but then the next time you press the button it opens then closes automatically. I dont know if it is something that there is a trick to fixing or if i need to bring it in to a dealer.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If possible
JA: Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question This is a easy fix. All you need to do is reprogram the rear hatch height setting. To do this when you open the hatch, as it starts to come down, grab it and press it up, and it will stop it's sequence. Then raise it to the height you would like to have it set at and press and hold the hatch button on the hatch until it beeps or lights flashes. Then operate the hatch. Give this a try and let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We already tried that. It worked a couple times then went bsck to opening snd immediately closing.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Any other ideas?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We had tried that before i contacted you. We found a video on youtube that showed that.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.
How many miles do you have on the truck? The only other thing I have seen cause yhis is the rear hatch pistons. If they can't hold the door up properly, it will allow it to close as soon as it opens. They would be part of the 3 years or 36k mile warranty
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There are only 22,000 miles on it. It is a 2014 pathfinder.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.
Then I would have the truck taken to the dealer. The issue is most likely the rear hatch electrical shock rods that is not able to hold the hatch which is why it can't hold the programming and why it keeps dropping when you open it. Do you have any more questions on this?