Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

Xterra: I have a 2002 Nissan Xterra that is having stalling

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Nissan Xterra that is having stalling problems when engine gets good and hot it stalls at low idle (like a traffic light) and when it is cranked it will cough and sputs but stalls as soon as you accelerate....Let it sit for 20 minutes with hood open it starts right up as if it never had a problem. It was suggested I need a new fuel pump. that the old one is heating up and not working properly what are your thoughts?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.
Hi there,Is the check engine light coming on when the truck is running good?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Check engine light has been on for 2 years due to faulty knock sensor
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Last mechanic put it on computer and it showed nothing but knock sensor but it also was not doing the same problem
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
he couldnt get it to stall out
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is anybody here????
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.
OkThe knock sensor doesn't turn the check engine light. There must be some kind of other code in there causing the light to kick on.It sounds like the truck has a bad distributor to be honest. the symptoms are basically what you are describing. What I need to have you do is get it hot enough for the engine to stall and not restart, then check for spark. I would not replace the fuel pump, this isn't normal behavior for a bad fuel pump.My other thought is a bad mass air flow sensor, but the distributor is way more common a problem on these then the maf sensor. If there isn't any spark when it won't restart, then that would point to the distributor. If there is,then I would expect the maf sensor.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
distributer is 6 months old..... and it does somewhat start but its like starving for fuel
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.
if it's not a nissan factory distributor it could still be bad. I have had the aftermarket distributors bad right out of the box to be honest. Not nearly as good a quality on the parts.Starving for fuel makes me think maf sensor, especially if he couldn't get it to stall. A simple test of the fuel pressure when the condition is happening would rule out the fuel pump,or condemn it. The maf sensor is the tricky one to condemn
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
maybe it is the MAF.... would that explan the stalling?? and sometimes it starts up and runs for like 10 miles and another red light it stalls again it might start up again and sometimes not
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
MAF is a lot cheaper to try first dont you think??
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.
Yes, usually if you can get it to stall, then unplug the maf and start it and it will idle, it's a good indication the maf is the problem. You can't rev the engine past 2700 rpms with the sensor unplugged though, the computer will turn the fuel supply off.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.
Yes and no on the pricing, the maf should be a nissan factory part. The aftermarkets tend to burn out superfast on these and you end up chasing your tail.I put a used one in my Maxi after going through 3 aftermarket. I knew better but wanted to go the cheaper way out. The used one off ebay has been on my car for 2yrs now without a problem.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok what do you think a dealership wants for MAF
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.
Showing $204 online at courtesy nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.
Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.Thank you so much!