Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years of automotive Repair

1999 Altima automatic, 190k miles. Some difficulty starting,

Customer Question

1999 Altima automatic, 190k miles. Some difficulty starting, stalls easily when cold, accelerates normally under very light pedal, immediately bogs down when accelerator is pressed more. No apparent misfiring or backfiring. Will not exceed 70mph. New plugs, plug wires, rotor and cap, air filter, fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator. Engine service light lit on one occasion, briefly. Now no engine service light. Could it be timing, Knock sensor, or plugged cat?
JA: Cars do make very odd noises -- They help the mechanics figure out what's wrong. They are terrific with my old Grand Cherokee. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, but I am hearing no odd noises.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: See initial enquiry.
JA: Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: Car was purchases five years ago at 160k miles. New fuel pump at that time. Car appears to have been well-maintained.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.It would be very helpful to know what the fault code it was that was being set when the light came on and if you have not cleared the computer it should still be stored in the computer. If you could scan the system and retrieve it and post back with it that would be useful. You should also check the fuel pressure when the bogging is occurring, normal pressure should be right at 34 to 35 PSI and hold . If you suspect the catalytic converter may be restricted a back pressure test would be the next thing to check if the fuel pressure checks okay .Post back with the results and we can work from there,