Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones,
Experience:  GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC
15093763

We just replace the starter but the vehicle still won't start

Customer Question

We just replace the starter but the vehicle still won't start it just makes a loud grinding noise when you turn the key
JA: Cars do make very odd noises -- They help the mechanics figure out what's wrong. They are terrific with my old Grand Cherokee. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The car won't start so we replace the starter now it's making a grinding noise
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: We replaced the battery and the starter
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: It was flooded about a year ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming.I'm ***** *****. I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.Was it starting after the flood? Thank you for posting your question.Your business is very valuable to us.Thank You***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no background info on the car. I bought it at an auction. When we first tried to start it it didn't really even make a noise so we replaced the starter. Now it makes a grinding noise but still doesn't start. Also I bought a starter relay....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if this helps or not but everything has power
Can you turn the engine by hand, with a socket on the crankshaft bolt?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it will not turn by hand
If the vehicle was in a flood and hasn't started since then, the engine probably has water in the cylinders causing it to lock up. The grinding would be the flywheel teeth being ground. Did you look at the teeth on the flywheel to seed what they looked like? If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.If you are satisfied with the information I supplied we would like to close out this question.If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!Thank you for posting your question.Your business is very valuable to us.Thank You ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did look at the teeth on the flywheel and it doesn't look as though the starter has ever touched it still looks brand new. After trying a few different things we have actually gotten the engine to turn about one full rotation by hand but still no start with the key. Could there be a solenoid or something that is not sending signal to the starter?
What is VIN# ***** your vehicle?