Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Altima 3.5sl: Hey buddy I have a 2006 Altima 3.5 SL and had

Customer Question

Hey buddy I have a 2006 Altima 3.5 SL and had the P0340 code popped up with the car going into limp mode. Three years ago I had the same code and I replaced the bank one sensor and The problem was fixed up until this point. now it has malfunctioned again with the same symptoms and code as before and after replacing the sensor and the harness just for safe measure It has still not fixed the problem and is still in limp mode with the SES light, traction, and slip on. When replacing the sensor this time I noticed that there was oil on the connector probably from a faulty O-ring and that is why I replaced it to make sure there was no short in the connector itself causing the symptoms. I am in the process of resetting the ECM by removing the battery and connecting both terminals to drain the capacitors for the night. The battery terminals don't look new so I figured I would replace those as well to make sure there is excellent contact since a weak battery may be a cause but the batt is goo
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 7 months ago.
My first concern would be whether or not a dealer sensor was used in the last replacement?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hey man, thanks for the response. No, it was from O'Reillys. I had reservations after the first sensors o ring leak.. But it lasted 3 years and had to use the lifetime warranty lol. I have bought thousands of dollars in non OEM parts with very very little issues. Do you think that is the main concern? BTW the wiring connector was from wiring specialties.com and was confirmed that it was OEM connector with only aftermarket wires
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also, I am a avid car enthusiast and actually sell cars at a large new car dealership. I have had many many cars domestic and import and do my own work so your responses can be a little more direct than the average Joe. Thanks bro
Expert:  Jake replied 7 months ago.
It may or may not be the aftermarket sensor, but I have seen MANY times where aftermarket cam sensors will not work right or leave a fault code on these cars. Sometimes it's because the tolerances are not as good but other times it's because they sell the customers a cranks sensor which looks identical but the tolerances are different.My biggest concern is wasting time trying to diagnose a phantom code.