Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.

My key remote 2012 Nissan Altima no longer works, it

Customer Question

My key remote for my 2012 Nissan Altima no longer works, it will not lock or unlock my doors, it will not beep and my car will not start unless key is in place?
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: my key will not lock or unlock my doors and my car will not start unless key is in place?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: It would be nice, unless its something I can take and get checked?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: Nope I think that is pretty significant because I don't have another key and I stress myself out everytime I get out of the car to make sure the key is taken, however, Im just wondering if its the key or the car because I have to lock my doors manually. The doors wont even lock if I hit the lock button when Im in the car and they will no longer lock on their automatically when you put car in drive?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.
Hi there, thanks for the question. If the car will not start unless the inteligent key fob is in the port then the battery is dead in the key and needs to be replaced. This would also explain why it won't work on the doors. if you remove the mechanical key form the FOB it can be pulled apart to access the battery, the battery is sold at local walmart, kroger, etc for about 3 bucks and installs face side DOWN. iF YOU HAVE FURTHER QUESTIONS just ask, if not be sure to leave a kind rating so the site credits me for my time. Thanks.