Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Frontier: Recently forced to swap 2011 Frontier SV 4.0 V6 engine

Customer Question

Recently forced to swap 2011 Frontier SV 4.0 V6 engine due to overheating situation. Everything back together and runs perfect except she has to spin awhile before starting and a slight lag off idle.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. Do you have any codes? Do you have a Scanner to monitor fuel trim readings? Did you do a fuel pressure test? What things have you tried?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No codes. All the fixings from my old motor went on the new/used one. Thinking something needs to be reset....
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.
When it finally starts, does it run ok? Do you have a scanner to monitor fuel trim?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Runs great except what I mentioned. Idles smooth.
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.
I have a thought. Do you have a scanner that can monitor intake timing while the engine is turning over? Do you notice the oil pressure gauge being low at idle after warmed up?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oil pressure came up great and holds. I don't have much of anything. Swapped in my two car garage....
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Engine light stays on. btw
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.
Oh.. You don't know what code you have though?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, I don't know how to get codes
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.
I would see if you can rent a code reader. If the new engine you installed has a after market Cam Sensor installed, that can certainly cause your issue. But your first step is to see what code you have. That could determine the direction needed to resolve your issue.
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.
I would start with that. See if you can rent or buy a code reader to see what code you have, then let me know
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I used cam sensors from original wiring harness. I'll try to obtain reader. Thanks.What occurs within fuel delivery prior to start up? Doesn't it increase delivery? It seems as if it lags before it starts like that function is not present
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.
If you can take a video clip on how it starts, that could help me. But before you do that, I would really like to see what code you have. Also make sure the cam sensor has this logo on them. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Cam%20Sensor%20OEM.jpg
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Cam sensors are original equipment. I bought truck new. Can get clip tomorrow evening.
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.
That would be fine. I can keep this question open till you can do that, but see if you can rent or get a code reader also. Code readers are cheap now. Plus the way cars are today, its not a bad thing to own.