Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

Pathfinder LE: 2005 Nissan Pathfinder, While driving the Service

Customer Question

2005 Nissan Pathfinder, While driving the Service Engine Light, VDC Off Light, ABS Brake Light and the SLIP lights all came on at the same time while the SUV was still running. Then the vehicle slowed down or it felt like it shut off, so I had to drift to the median on the road and cut-off the vehicle and restart it again and the vehicle picked up speed and VDC Light SLIP and Engine Soon Lights all stayed on, but the vehicle ran normal, so I drove it home. I drove the next day at work all light were off except the Engine Service Light in the morning and the SUV drove well, but when I drove home that evening all indicator lights came back on the dashboard inside my vehicle. What is the problem? and What is it going to cost me to get it repaired? I have approximately 133,000 mile on my Nissan Pathfinder at this time.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
HI there,Just to be clear, the truck has been diagnosed with a bad converter at this point?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I know. What else can be wrong with my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
OkFirst, a couple things I would like to make clear. First, if the converter is bad, the condition can get worse with it and it can cause running issues with the truck. Secondly, many times the traction control and ABS are all shut down when the check engine light comes on. They are disabled by the computer so there won't be any issues with the electronic throttle applying itself and the engine/truck taking off on it's own.That being said, first, we need to know if there are any new codes stored in the computer, or if we still have a code for the catalytic and nothing more. Normally when they shut down like this, it's more to do with one of the engine sensors, either one of the cam sensors or the crank position sensor. If any of these stop sending signals to the computer, then the computer will shut the engine down right away. Many times you can restart and the only light on will be the check engine, then as the conditions get worse and the other lights come on. What's important here is that we really need the codes to have a baseline and starting point. Many part stores will read the codes at no charge. They start with a P, like P0420 for example. If you would like to get them and post them with me, I am sure I can provide an answer with much greater detail for you.Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.Thank you so much!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
Hello again,I was wondering since I hadn't heard from you if you needed further assistance with this?