Matt C.
Matt C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Automotive Technician

2010 Nissan suddenly the key lock system or immbilzer light

Customer Question

2010 Nissan suddenly the key lock system or immbilzer light went on and I can't start the car. Just drove it 20 minute prior, parked it and came back and that happened. Not sure why or what to do. Researching it on line here. Any ideas? The key still lock and unlocks the car and the hood and all, so I don't think it's a battery issue.
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I was going to try the FOB in the slot to see if that works, but I don't think the key is discharged.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: No 2010, runs great no problems with it ever. No recent service or anything. 44,000 miles in the six years I have had it. Runs like a top.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt C. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I would like to see if I could help you with this. First of all, do the brake lights come on when you depress the brake pedal?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am alone so cannot tell you that.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just drove the car 45 minutes ago just fine however.
Expert:  Matt C. replied 6 months ago.
When you press the ignition switch, does the instrument cluster light up?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Matt C. replied 6 months ago.
Last question, when you put the key into the slot, does the key indicator come up on the information display? (Possibly also a green light in the cluster)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The blinking red car with the black key shoes up and and keeps blinking - briefly the orange symbol that tells you to step on brake and push ignition shows up. But it goes away rather quickly
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My phone will run out of charge soon.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Won't charge off the lighter charger - but lights do come on in car when pressed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Radio works.
Expert:  Matt C. replied 6 months ago.
It sounds to me that you have a failed "steering lock control unit". This has been a very common problem (I have replaced tons of these units for this exact problem). Nissan has extended the warranty coverage on these units on some model years, so a call to your local dealer may be worth your while to see if your car is covered. Here is a video from YouTube that may be able to help so you are not stranded.
Expert:  Matt C. replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, this video is a little better as they show how to remove the lower panel.