Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

Long story short after i had a brake job completed all OEM

Customer Question

long story short after i had a brake job completed all OEM i started to get a pop in reverse when i would be reversing and applying the brakes . After the technician diagnosed he said it was the pad being slightly too short and replaced with new OEM pads and the sound went away .. well fast forward a month and when i am slowly backing up if you tap the brakes you get the click or pop .. only happens in reverse , is this a common issue i may have just become hypersensitive to or do you feel its worth continuously chasing? usually backing up from an incline turning can really make it sound but also if you drive forward on flat ground a bit stop put in reverse and then tap your brake pedal while idling in reverse i can get it to click or pop every time you press the pedal. I may just be hearing the pad movement in the caliper just is annoying none the less. Thanks for any input
JA: Many things can cause a car to make those weird sounds. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: i am not sure yet
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: it is a 2011 370Z all stock all eom brake parts
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Nissan.The most common concern with this is exactly what you stated, the noise being "pad shift" inside the caliper. Does the noise only happen once maybe twice and/or only when moving in one direction like to stop?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It happens in reverse when you press the pedal , i can duplicate it in reverse at low/ idling speed like your backing into a parking spot each time i tap the pedal, if i were to slowly press the pedal i can make it not as obvious but i can also tap it and it will ... pop , pop , everytime i do.
I see. That is interesting and I think would be best if we got it rechecked. The two thoughts that come to mind and can cause this type noise concern is that 1) it's slightly "normal" brake pad shift and 2) something may have not been torqued down enough and the driving use has caused a bolt to back off just enough to allow movement.Having this just inspected will allow the shop to recheck their work to make sure all it tight and then they can add a few touches of anti-seize (or whatever lubricant they use) to the brake pad ends to allow the pads to adjust easier. The pads and the brake pad shift noise is due to excessive resistance of the brake pads in the caliper. By adding a light coat of anti-seize, they will not "stick" and thus when the do shift (which is normal) will do so easier and with less noise.Does this make sense?If you have more questions, please ask as I strive to give Excellent service. Also please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me.