Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Im trying to troubleshoot my 2004 maxima...after I program

Customer Question

Hi, Im trying to troubleshoot my 2004 maxima...after I program the key the car starts but when I turn it off like 3 times the car needs the key reprogram again...I replaced the ecm and still doing the same thing....I'm thinking it could be the IPDM but I don't know
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Nissan. The Nissan Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I replaced the ecm, tried another key ring reader, ecu, and cleaned the ground connection inside the dash for the ecm
JA: Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: It makes a clicking sound on the IPDM fuse box on the engine when turn it off I don't know if that's normal
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. Are these all Nissan factory keys you are using?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, I'm using a factory nissan key..the weird thing is that I'm able to program the key but after turn it on couple of time the security light starts blinking and then won't start..also when I start the car the security light stays solid even if the car is on..what that means?
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.
That is interesting. Can you take a picture of the keys you have for your car for me and which security light you see solid when your car is running? I want to be able to see what you are seeing so I can properly assist you. Let me know..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry I'm not with the car right now, it's the immobilizer light close to the windshield and the key its a 2004 nissan maxima factory key...Do you have any idea why is that happening ?
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.
This type of issue does require diagnostics, but the first thing I would check is the nats antenna ring if they are factory keys.