Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

Ok so I replaced the distributor with a known good one OEM

Customer Question

Ok so I replaced the distributor with a known good one OEM and also the ECU. Started then died and won't restart. I advanced the timing by one tooth and also regarded the timing by one tooth and nothing changed still a no start. I disconnected the MAF and still wouldn't start. When it was running I tried to give it throttle and nothing at all didn't die or increase RPMs. I had a buddy check the timing to make sure that I had it correct and it's spot on. 2001 Nissan Xterra 3.3 SE 4x4
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.
Hi JeremyBoy, this truck!Ok, to be clear, at the moment the truck will not start?Have you checked for spark?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes this car hates me lol. I checked spark and fuel has both. Even bought a fuel pressure tester with a t and it shows good fuel pressure don't remember the reading but it match the Haynes manual. Yes it started for a second and now won't restart at all
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.
Any codes stored? I am thinking possible issue with the TPS, make sure it's plugged in nice and tight.Also, check the start fuse. Sending a diagram of the inside fuse box and I highlighted the start fuse.lemme know.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Checked TPS plugs and they are tight. Fuse is good. Would the TPS cause a no start?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.
I have heard of it but never had my own experience with it causing a problem with a no start. But, it won't not accelerate and the timing is good and the distributor is good, and we know for sure the ecm isn't the issue. So, trying to think outside the box because we are running out of options.Any codes in the system that might help?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No codes at all. Ok I'll replace that sensor and see if it fixes it. I've replaced every sensor after the TPS and MAF what would cause them to all go bad?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.
It seems like if you had a bad TPS we would get a code, so I don't think replacing it is a good call just yet.Can you recheck compression on a couple of cylinders to make sure we are still in the 120 psi range. Something has to be going on here that would allow the truck to get spark and not run.Also, maybe try some carb cleaner or starting fluid directly into the throttle and see if it will at least fire on it. Maybe the problem is injector pulse
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I'll run a compression test and try stater fluid and see where it goes from there. Is it possible that it's so low on compression that it doesn't want to stay running?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.
It would have to be real, real low. The 120 is low, but it should be high enough for it to run. You should also be able to increase the engine speed when you rev it up.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok checked the compression and in 1/3/2 are all 130.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Why would it start and run for a few minutes then die and not want to start back up? That's what I am not understanding
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.
I am not getting that either, but I think we have to try the carb cleaner into the throttle to see if it will at least fire. If it does, then we can go after the fuel injection and fuel pump as possible causes. I think it has to be in this area since you do have spark and compression.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok so when I go to start it on starting fluid I just spray a little into the intake but not to keep it running right?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.
Yeah, well I figure at the moment it's not firing at all, so you want to spray enough in there to see if it will fire and idle a few seconds.