Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

2003 Nissan altima 2.5 issues regarding car stalling out

Customer Question

2003 Nissan altima 2.5 issues regarding car stalling out New cat New 02 New throttle body learn procedure was done also.temp sensor and cam sensor replaced
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: If u steady drive. it does fine, but when at complete stop sometimes it stalls or just cuts off.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 7 months ago.
Hey there, thanks for your question. Before we proceed answer this for me please. Was there a service engine light for catalytic converter? P0420? and does the car burn any oil?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes and yes
Expert:  Jake replied 7 months ago.
k, then you probably have a compression issue which was VERY common on 03-04 Altimas with catalyst failures.
Expert:  Jake replied 7 months ago.
What happens is when the catalyst fails, it falls to pieces and teh manifold design was poor so it sucks the pieces in the engine and they are ground into a fine dust similar to a lapping or rubbing compound. This slowly wears the oil rings
Expert:  Jake replied 7 months ago.
The first symptoms are burning oil. Then as it progresses its harder to start and eventually won't hold an idle.
Expert:  Jake replied 7 months ago.
Do a compression test, if the numbers are low add oil to the cylinder and watch it rise. Will be an obvious indicator.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What should compression read
Expert:  Jake replied 7 months ago.
180
Expert:  Jake replied 7 months ago.
anything below 155 is poor
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
All good
Expert:  Jake replied 7 months ago.
you did the test? what were your numbers?
Expert:  Jake replied 7 months ago.
and assuming the numbers were good, do you have any trouble codes at this time? or a scan tool that can read fuel trims? let me know please.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
170 and up
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes I have that
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No codes at this time
Expert:  Jake replied 7 months ago.
good, can you tell me what the fuel trims are when the engine is warmed up?
Expert:  Jake replied 7 months ago.
The readings I am looking for should be ALPHA or STFT
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
All of my spark plugs are smutthered with black smut they are not burning clean thinking the cat is bad customer said they replaced.
Expert:  Jake replied 7 months ago.
if the cat is blocked it will usually still run if you pull the a/f sensor in front of the cat and it will also usually have poor acceleration
Expert:  Jake replied 7 months ago.
they may be black because its running real rich and burning oil, which is why i was curious of the fuel trims