Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Xterra: We have a 2005 Nissan Xterra. It has 77,000 miles

Customer Question

We have a 2005 Nissan Xterra. It has 77,000 miles and it is in great shape. The motor started turning off when we have driven it for a few hours when we were going down hill. We took it to a mechanic in Costa Rica and they tested it and can't find anything wrong. Do you have an idea why it just cuts out? When that happens we have to cost to the side of the road. When we stop and sit for a few minutes, it will start right up again. It runs just fine. Can you help me?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Will it not start right away after it cuts off? You actually have to let it sit a while is that correct?
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.
Also, did the check engine light come on after this episode? and is it on now when driving? or is it out?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It does start right after we pull to the side of the road. The engine light does not come on
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
20 April 2016 02:37It does start right after we pull to the side of the road. The engine light does not come on
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.
Alright, In my opinion then this is related to the fuel delivery system. Likely the fuel pump itself. But, could be the fuel pump relay or in very unlikely but it could be wiring as well. A fuel pressure test needs to be performed at the time it quits running or won't start right away, I take it the technician never duplicated the problem?
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. Most common issue is due to the ECM relay in the IPDM. I normally like to suggest to swap this relay with the fog light relay and see if that resolves the issue before telling the customer to buy any parts. How handy are you? I can show you where the two relays are located that I would like you to switch. Let me know