K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

D21: 1989 Nissan d21 replace with a two barrel was

Customer Question

1989 Nissan d21 replace carburetor with a two barrel was running fine was on freeway started to make poping sound. Pulled over it a loud popping noise that get louder when you press the gas sound like irt coming from egr valve change gasket on carb didn't fixed problem
Category: Nissan
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
hello, is it popping while idleing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes Hi My original problem was carb was flooding on start up I order new carb only difference would be one barrel to two barrel upon removal of old carb the gasket had a big leak so I decided to change carb out anyway on test drive started hearing loud popping noise at 70 mph engine running rough check all plug and removed them in sequence to see if possible bent valve no change at all . notice smoke coming from egr valve and the noise is on the intake side of the engine I suspect bad egr valve never heard of one doing this before
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
it's definitely running lean and the egr valve leaking will cause that as it's a huge vacuum leak. From what you describe i would go ahead with replaceing the egr valve. Also make sure it doesn't have vacuum going to it at idle as that would cause this problem as well. Let me know what you find and we can work further if needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I will Order one I will let you how it turn out Thanks
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good