Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

My name is ***** *****, I have a 1996 Pathfinder SE, the

Customer Question

Hi. my name is ***** *****, I have a 1996 Pathfinder SE, the automatic transmission suddenly lost reverse. It drives fine and shifts properly in all the forward gears. I have been researching the problem and found a site that suggested the Line Pressure Solenoid could be bad. When checking on parts I found an upper solenoid (single solenoid) and a lower solenoid (4 solenoids connected together).
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My question is which of these would be most likely to be causing the problem if they are the cause of the problem and would it be worth my expense to try to fix this myself?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.
Hi there,The solenoid is in the 4 pack that come as a set. I personally haven't had any success replacing the solenoid pack and having it resolve the issue. That is not to say that it couldn't solve the problem for you, just my personal experience wasn't good when I did a set.I would say first, make sure the reverse lights are working. This way you know if the position switch is causing any issues. If the lights work, then I would say you could try replacing the solenoid. Depending on your skill level. The valve body has to come out and then you can access the bolts that hold the solenoids in place. It can be a little tricky reinstalling the accumulators and the VB.As a point of thought. It might be worth wile for you to have a transmission shop diagnose it properly, then do the repair yourself. They can test the line pressure and see if the solenoid is at fault or if it is a wiring issue. I am not telling you just take it in, but depending on how far you want to go, it might give you better success.Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.Thank you so much!