Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in the automotive service industry.
29534642

XE pickup: I have a 1996 Nissan XE pickup and am having an

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Nissan XE pickup and am having an AC problem. When I turn on the ac, it runs fine long enough for the cab to cool down then as it should, the compressor clutch disengages but it never reengages. I have changed the compressor relay but to no avail as it just does the same thing with the new relay. The 134a has been checked and is good also. Any suggestions?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Do you have power to the compressor clutch when it doesn't run? Have you checked it with a volt meter or test light? thanks.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not yet but have been trying to ascertain what voltage should show on the clutch line.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Let me check it and let you know in a few minutes. How do I get back in contact with you?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
In ran it up and after it cooled the cab, I disconnected to line and then plugged it back in and the compressor would not start. Then using a meter, I could not find voltage at all on the line.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you still with me??
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello!!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I guess you have given up so I am disconnecting no and do not expect payment for anything.
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Hello, sorry, I am still here but couldn't respond right away. I can still help if you would like. Let me pull hte wiring diagram and take a look at the circuit, with no voltage on the line, it's likely not the compressor clutch like I thought it might be.
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Do you see a small black box looking thing near the compressor that has one wire going in and one wire going out directly to the compressor clutch? It's a thermal block and they do go bad sometimes, I'd like to check it directly out of the relay at the BLACK and WHITE wire if possible. Here is the circuit. If it doesn't have power then, I would jump the Low pressure switch, with a paper clip or jumper wire and see if the compressor runs at all times then. Here is the circuit. showing a thermal block, which is that small black box I'm speaking of.
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Let me know what you find there.
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
If you have power before the thermal block, I'd straight wire it. around the block and take it out of the circuit.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Everything you gave me checked out GOOD. I then jumped pins 3 and 5 of the A/C RELAY and the compressor ran continuously.
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Ok, if it runs all the time by jumping the relay, its prob. the low side switch, If you jump the low side switch, does it run all the time then?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It runs all the time when I jumped the Low Side Switch.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oops, the compressor was running and I shut the AC off with the AC CONTROL switch and a few minutes later turned I've ac control switch back on and NOTHING!! It didn't even attempt to restart the compressor. ???????
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I even turned up the heat in the cab to induce high temp and it still wouldn't do a thing when I set the AC Control to cool. Bad AC CONTROL switch???
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just guessing!!
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Are the wires going to the low side switch GREEN/RED and GREEN/ORANGE. If you jump that switch and it runs all the time, then it's not the A/C switch on the control panel. I believe it's the low side switch itself. It's not closing if your pressures are good and your sure it's full of freon. Does it cool good when you jump the switch?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The pressures at idle are L=20, H=220
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
And it is very cold when it is jumper running!!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is the low side switch you are refering to the low side ps on the compressor??
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I note that the date of the schematic is 1995. Is that for a 1995 Nissan or is it just the date of the drawing for my 1996 we are troubleshooting?
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
It is the date of the diagram, and is the correct diagram for your 96. This pressure switch I thought on 96 was in the low side line coming from the firewall to the compressor. But it's not, I'm looking at it right now. Give me just a few...thanks.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Unless the low pressure switch is inside near the cooling coil, there is no pressure switch on the outside firewall.
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
No there is not. In the front by the condensor near the radiator on the passenger side, you see a two wire switch out there? Is that the switch you jumped to get the compressor to run continuously?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No that is not the switch I used and there are no low side components on the left side near the radiator. There is a two wire switch on the liquid line that is behind the radiator on the passenger side but that is all.
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Alright, unfortunately that is all the information I have and my shop reference on a 96 model doesn't cover the AC troubleshooting, it just has the wiring diagram. I am afraid I will have to opt out of this question and let another expert assist.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry to hear that so how do we figure out what I owe you.