Matt C.
Matt C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Automotive Technician
64275627

Frontier: Hows it going I have a quick question. My 2006 nissan

Customer Question

Hows it going I have a quick question. My 2006 nissan frontier XE is shutting off while i'm driving down the road. Sometimes i can make it 20 miles other times i can make it 20 inches. I put a new battery in it last week. Other than that i haven't done anything
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt C. replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I would like to see if I could help you with this concern. First of all, is your check engine light on and have you checked for any stored codes?Secondly, how long has this been going on? Has it been getting worse over time?Lastly, does it start right back up when it stalls?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I haven't checked for any codes. I don't know if the check engine light is on. Its on the back of a wrecker right now on the way back to my house. It started last week. It is getting worse. Happened last week a couple of times but i was able to start it right back up but today it wouldn't start back up until it sat for a while. I drove it into a parking lot, turned it off and let it sit some more than tried driving it again and made it about 2 ft before it died.
Expert:  Matt C. replied 7 months ago.
Sorry for the delay, I am trying to pull up some information on your vehicle.
Expert:  Matt C. replied 7 months ago.
Do you happen to have access to a scan tool at all? The first thing we need to do is scan for any stored codes and see what comes up. I do know that the crankshaft position sensors on those engines are a very common failure and have been redesigned. Your symptoms exactly sound like that sensor is failing. You could let the truck run with a scan tool on it and watch the RPM on the scanner and see if it immediately drops to 0 when the problem occurs instead of "winding down".
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
alright i'll have to buy a scanner