My 2005 Nissan altima (80K miles) has started an intermittent

Customer Question

My 2005 Nissan altima (80K miles) has started an intermittent misfire on cylinder 4. I replaced the coil pack and after about 5K miles it started the intermittent miss again. I switched the coil pack to # ***** cylinder and # ***** 1 coil pack to cylinder 4. The intermittent miss occurred again on cylinder #4. I unhooked the remote start tachometer wire that had been attached to the #4 coil pack trigger wire and so far there has been no intermittent miss reoccurring. Where can I find another place to reattach that tack wire and why did it wait 80K miles to start doing this?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Nissan. The Nissan Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have only done the things mentioned in the paragraph above. I don't know where to look for the tach wire under the dash.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Nissan Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Nope
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
The problem is probably in your aftermarket tachometer. I'm willing to bet that if you ran the tach to a different coil it would probably start triggering a misfire on that cylinder.I have seen a handful of those tachometers short internally and basically ground out the spark on that coil. You could test it by running it to a different coil and see if the misfire follows it.You should also check the lead wire to the tach and make sure it hasn't rubbed through anywhere. That could be the problem as well.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is not aftermarket tach. This is the tactic came in the Nissan Altima that we're working with. There was there was no problem with the car for 80000 miles now all of a sudden it only misfires on the coil that has the tach wire for the remote start hooked up to the trigger wire on the coil.
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
Oh I'm sorry I thought you mean that you had some sort of aftermarket tachometer. I must have misread that line. I see now, "remote start tachometer".Ok.
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
The remote start is the factory original right?