Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

Altima: I have an 07 Nissan Altima which will not start. We

Customer Question

I have an 07 Nissan Altima which will not start. We have replaced the battery and fob batteries. There is a little key in the upper left hand side of the display. It will not turn over at all. The car sat 3 months while we wintered in Texas. Any ideas? We are 150 miles from a Nissan dealer and would have to have it towed. Would appreciate any help.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
Do you have an automotive locksmith in your area? It's likely that the security key or the transceiver that receives the signal from the security key have lost programming while sitting unused. An automotive locksmith would be able to hook up a scan tool and check to see if either of those two parts is malfunctioning and not allowing the car to start.Is that an option?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We could do that.....but Nissan in Columbia said that if we held the fob by the push button start it would pick up the signal. They thought it might be the steering lock.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is what youtube said....agree?
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
Is the steering wheel locked? In other words can you turn the wheel back and forth without the ignition on?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You can move it a little bit.....We've had cars before that if you move the steering wheel back and forth, it will than start......didn't work with this one.
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
If you can move the steering wheel then you likely have a stuck column lock assembly causing the problem. If it feels like it moves a little bit is basically locked then the problem is probably in the security key system. Does it feel locked or loose?
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
It's going to be tough to turn without the engine running off it is unlocked.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I would say more loose than locked.
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
Let's see if you can get it to free up. Sometimes they just suck. Turn the key on (push the button) and tap/bang on the steering column under the wheel. Sometimes you have to hit it fairly hard.
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
Stick, sorry. Auto-correct. My computer is acting up here at the shop so I'm using my phone.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Didn't work......
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Any other ideas???
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
That lock solenoid is probably going to need to be replaced. The only way to be sure is with a compatible scan tool to test it.
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
I wanted to check and see if you needed any additional help.