Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Xterra: Nissan 2004 XTerra - Had one working remote, tried

Customer Question

Nissan 2004 XTerra - Had one working remote, tried to program a replacement remote. Car responded as the instructions said it would - hazard lights flashed at the appropriate times. When I was finished, neither remote worked. Now when I repeat the same programming steps, the car doesnt respond at all.
Here are the instructions I followed:
1. Get inside the vehicle close and LOCK all doors using the lock/unlock switch on the driver's side door. (do not use the remote)
2. Insert your key into the ignition and remove it 6 times within 10 seconds. You will need to fully insert and remove the key during this step each time in roughly one second intervals. The hazard lamps will flash when ne correctly. If the hazards do not flash do the procedure 10 times rather than 6.
3. Insert the key in the ignition and turn it to the ACC position.
4. Within 5 seconds push the lock button once on the new remote(your hazards will flash confirming programming.
5. If you have other remotes including new and existing working remotes follow this step, if not skip to step 6. UNLOCK then LOCK the doors by using the lock/unlock switch on the driver's side door. (do not use the remote) Within 5 seconds press the lock button on the remote you are now programming. Your hazard Lamps will flash to confirm programming.
I tried adding the seatbelt before locking the doors, still no response from the car. Any ideas?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. When you get the Hazards to flash, turn the ignition to the ON position, not the ACC position. Try that and let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Jay, Thanks for your response. My issue is the hazards do not flash in response to the key being inserted into the ignition and removing 6 to 10 to even 15 times. I had one working remote, tried to program a replacement remote. Car responded the first time as the instructions said it would - hazard lights flashed at the appropriate times. When I was finished, neither remote worked. Now when I repeat the same programming steps, the car DOES NOT respond at all. Thanks in advance for your help.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.
When you insert the key into the ignition to get the Hazards to flash, then turn the key to the ON position, when you press the button on the remote does the hazards flash again showing that it see's the signal?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, as stated in the question, the car is not responding to the key being inserted at all. Car responded the first time as the instructions said it would - hazard lights flashed at the appropriate times. When I was finished, neither remote worked. Now when I repeat the same programming steps, the car DOES NOT respond at all.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.
Did you check all fuses with a test light? Also I would like to check the vehicles security system. If that is not working, that would keep the remotes from being programmed as well. To check it's operation I would like you to close all doors and hood and while outside the car, use the mechanical key to lock the doors. Once you lock the truck, see if the security light turns solid for 10 to 20 seconds. After 10 to 20 seconds see if it starts to blink. Let me know..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Jay,
I don't have a test light, though I did check the security system. When the doors are locked with the key, the security light turns solid for 10 sec then blinks.Not sure if this has anything to do with it, though I did notice that opening all of the doors EXCEPT the drivers door activates the dome light. (in other words the light does not go on when I open the drivers door.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also noticed that the Door Ajar light does not go on when the drivers door is open - again, not sure if this is related.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.
That could be related!! The drivers door switch is a main signal for the system to see the door is closed to program the key. I would try replacing the drivers door switch and then see if the remote programming can be done