internal88
internal88, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have been working in the technican for over 15 years. I am an expert in diagnostic.
63512786

Nissan Quest: 2008 Nissan Quest, V-6, 56,000 miles, automatic

Customer Question

2008 Nissan Quest, V-6, 56,000 miles, automatic trans.
When gas peddle is depressed van make a "high pitch whining" noise, noise goes away
when let off gas. Noise has been present for 4 months.
Not a huge noise but just a change in tone that someone unfamiliar with van might
not notice.
There is no change in performance.
Van was taken to Nissan dealership. Paid a diagnostic fee.
Mechanic said plastic guide on the timing chain was wearing down. Dealership warned
that if not taken care of would result in engine being destroyed when timing chain fails
i.e. valves, pistons etc. The usual fatal diagnostic outcome.
Dearlership quoted $2,200.00 to fix. (They also went over the rest of the van and
said 2,000.00 for additional things found.)
The van has been very well cared for and looks good. Nevertheless, I am not sure
it make sense to pay 2,200.00 to fix the timing chain since the blue book is 6,000.00.
Certainly not spend $4,200.00 for the extra stuff that clearly is not an issue.
But my question(s) is this:
Do you agree with the diagnosis?
Is the failure of the timing chain to occur immediately, or could it be 30,000 miles or more from now?
Do you think $2,2000.00 is a fair price to fix the chain or would a small shop mechanic charge significantly less?
Thank you,
Craig Dickson,***@******.***
Category: Nissan
Expert:  internal88 replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I'm Brandon - Nissan tech. Yes, I agreed with the diagnosis. It could be the timing chain got stretch and the tensioner that is making all noise and hitting the plastic guide.It won't break immediately but you should take care of it soon as you can.Yes, 2000 is a fair price since this is a 10 hours job. Very labor intensive job and it takes skills to do it. You could shop around and the private shop should be less than the dealer. Maybe 20% less. Please rate me positive, thank you!