Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, worked in auto industry for 22 years on engine, transmission and suspension design

Maxima: Nissan Maxima 2007 started to have acceleration/stopping

Customer Question

Nissan Maxima 2007 started to have acceleration/stopping issue.
Car won't accelerate beyond 60 km/h, RPM can go high all the way, car keeps running, but will not accelerate beyond that. Will make whining noise.
It also makes some grinding/whining noise when brakes are applied and it's stopping.
Like a spinning wheel slowing down and grinding against something.
Noise surely does not come from brakes.
Car seems to run ok cold for the first 10 mins or so. I managed to get on the highway and pick up speed up to 100 km/h when I first noticed the symptoms.
No stored OBD codes at all.
Short video is here:
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
hello as you've already checked the transmission fluid the next step is to remove the sump pan and clean out the filter screens in there and while you're there check the electrical connections to all the solenoids and circuit boardsfrom the video and your description I suspect a faulty torque convertor but the basics need checking 1st