Nissian frontier: 2000 nissian frontier engine squeal

Customer Question

2000 nissian frontier engine squeal
Category: Nissan
Expert:  I. Silva replied 6 months ago.
Hello...welcome and thank you for using justanswer.Is this a 4 or 6 cylinders engine ?Does the noise sound like is coming from the front of the engine behind timing cover ? (6 cyl. engine )There are three common problems ,the belts ,the distributor and the timing belt tensioner or idle bearing. (6 cyl.)Good luck.Let me know.Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
6 cyl - it sounds like it is in the front drivers side - replaced belts - had timing belt replace a year or so ago - I removed the a/c and alternator belt / no difference, also replace the air intake to throttle body
Expert:  I. Silva replied 6 months ago.
Does the vehicle have to be moving for you to hear the noise ?Tks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no it always squeals when start up and I can give it throttle in park with my hand and it squeals. just cant pinpoint where it is coming from
Expert:  I. Silva replied 6 months ago.
Can you remove the dist. cap and look for rust under the cap ,like a brownish color ?Also ,you can buy a stethoscope at your local auto parts store and use it to listen to the noise from distributor or a few places ,like ...on the timing cover ,valve covers ,bell housing (transmission)Also ,take a good look at the crankshaft harmonic balancer ,sometimes the rubber gets loose from the metal and makes noise. Let me know.Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what will I be looking for on the harmonic balancer? not sure what it should look like
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
and yes I will look at the distributer
Expert:  I. Silva replied 6 months ago.
Between the metal part that goes into the crankshaft and the grooved part where the belt goes there is rubber that holds the two parts together ,after awhile it dries out and falls apart , take a close look to see if the pulley is wobbling/touching the timing cover .Let me know.Thank you.