Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in the automotive service industry.

2004 xterra wont start (or even crank), the security light

Customer Question

2004 xterra wont start (or even crank), the security light flashes. help
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: starter has been replace, as has the battery
JA: Anything else I can tell the Nissan Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: nope
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Do you have a spare ignition key by chance? and if so have you tried it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't have a spare key. The truck was recently purchased
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Alright, with just one key, it's hard to know whether it is the key or not, or the key ring that reads the key. It's likely one or the other though if the security light is flashing. It's flashing with the key in the ON position correct? and it doesn't go out?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That is correct
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Alright, Try this first, disconnect the negative cable for about 5 minutes, and reinstall it, then make sure all the doors are closed, and lock and unlock the door a few times and see if that helps. If it does not help, about the only thing you can do with one key, is call a mobile locksmith, he can come out, check and see if indeed your single key is good, and if it's not, program you a new key. It's either that or the key ring that actually reads the failed. I hope it's not the ECM (Engine control module) that has failed, but it's possible. Either way I would call a mobile locksmith and hopefully he can come out and get a key programmed and fix it so you don't have to get it towed. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.