eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

200sx se: I installed a new alternator on my 1988 Nissan 200sx,

Customer Question

I installed a new alternator on my 1988 Nissan 200sx, but the new one, the bolt that goes on the belt adjustment bracket is off by a few thousands of an inch. Can I file some of the bracket off so it can fit?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  eric replied 6 months ago.
HI,Either the wrong alternator was in the box or when remanufactured the wrong alternator casing was used. So the choices are to either return it for another that will actually line up correctly, or file the bracket so that the alternator will line up properly. You can use a round file or even a dremel tool with metal grinding wheel attachment to do this. A few thousands of an inch will not hurt the bracket's structural integrity Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating